Advanced Product Quality Planning
APQP Software is a structured approach to product and process design. This framework is a standardized set of apqp quality requirements that enable suppliers to design a product that satisfies the customer.
The primary goal of product quality planning is to facilitate communication and collaboration between engineering activities. A Cross Functional Team (CFT), involving marketing, product design, procurement, manufacturing and distribution, is used in the APQP Software process. APQP System ensures the Voice of the Customer (VOC) is clearly understood, translated into requirements, technical specifications and special characteristics. The product or process benefits are designed in through prevention.
APQP Software supports the early identification of change, both intentional and incidental. These changes can result in exciting new innovation supporting customer delight. When not managed well they translate to failure and customer dissatisfaction. The focus of APQP Software is utilization of tools and methods for mitigating the risks associated with change in the new product or process.
Why Implement Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP)
APQP Software supports the never ending pursuit of continuous improvement. The first three sections of advanced quality planning focus on planning and prevention and make up 80% of the advanced quality planning process The fourth and fifth sections support the remaining 20% of APQP and focus on validation and evidence. The fifth section specifically allows an organization to communicate learnings and provide feedback to develop standard work and processes. A list of APQP Software benefits are:
- Directing resources by defining the vital few items from the trivial many
- Promote early identification of change
- Intentional (what is being changed on purpose to bring value to the customer)
- Incidental (environments, customer usage, degradation and interfaces)
- Avoid late changes (post release) by anticipating failure and preventing it
- Fewer design and process changes later in the product development process
- On-time quality product at lowest cost
- Multiple options for mitigating the risk when found earlier
- Higher capability of verification and validation of a change
- Improved collaboration between Design of the Product and Process
- Improved Design for Manufacturing and Assembly (DFM/A)
- Lower cost solutions selected
- earlier in the process
- Legacy capture and reuse, advancement of Tribal Knowledge and standard work creation and utilization.
When to Apply Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP)
- New Product Introduction (NPI) Support:
- Product or Process Change (Post Release):
How to Implement Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP)
Section 0: Pre-Planning
Section 1: Plan and Define
Section 2: Product Design and Development
Section 3: Process Design and Development
Section 4: Product and Process Validation
Section 5: Feedback Assessment and Corrective Action